The Borrowbrook Home Link is about providing support services to older adults living independently in the Parish of Ockbrook and Borrowash. The objectives set for the Project were to ensure that the following outcomes would be met:
- Older adults will be supported in maintaining independent lives.
- Older adults will have increased confidence and self-esteem.
- Older adults will experience reduced isolation / social exclusion.
- There will be improved relationships across the community.
- Older adults will be better informed about their physical and mental health, welfare benefits and wider social opportunities.
Our catchment area is the Parish of Ockbrook and Borrowash, which are two villages split by a by-pass in the Borough of Erewash in Derbyshire. Geographically we are approximately two miles to the east of Derby, which excludes us from their services and support, and three miles to the south of the corridor formed by the main towns of the Borough of Erewash: Ilkeston, Sandiacre and Long Eaton, which excludes us from a lot of their services and support. Due to our geographic location therefore and the continuing closure or deterioration of local places to meet and essential services the parish has a need to be self-sufficient in many things and our charity has accepted the task of helping our elderly to stay independent within the parish.
In order to achieve the outcomes we have developed a wide range of activities and services throughout the parish including: An Advice Centre, a quarterly Magazine, integration with local schools, initial Home Visiting, A Bereavement Service, Chair Based Exercises, Technology Training, Coffee Mornings, Lunch Clubs, Coach Trips and Friendship Clubs.